Monday, October 25, 2010

Day two - Wednesday October 20

Departed: Saint Privat d'Allier 8:30am
Arrived: Le Sauvage 5:45pm
Total hours: 9 1/4
Total kms: 37.2
Accumulated kms: 61.2
Weather: Cold and raining, then sunny, then alternate all day.

Wow, what a walk today was. It started off really well as I had breakfast with the three pilgrims, one of whom couldn't speak English and two of whom could, but refused to.

Crowded House have the song Four Seasons In One Day - the clouds in France just don't have all day for this, they like to rotate it hourly, and that's just when they're feeling lazy.

For some reason I thought my planned walk was about 34km today, but realised it was nearly 38 in the afternoon. I nearly stopped in Saugue, but once again I arrived when everything was closed. Damn Europeans and their bloody siestas. I missed the post office and the supermarket, which I only discovered after walking 500m down a steep hill (yes, I had to walk back up again).

By the time I arrived in the gite tonight I was nearly delirious. My feet were throbbing and my shoulders had locked up, and I was talking to myself in a less than sane manner. Keep in mind this is just day two. When I arrived, none of the four people in the "office" (a large stone room that was dark and lit/warmed by a fire only) spoke English, and it was very confusing for my exhausted mind to deal with. They didn't seem too impressed with me, but tried to help as much as they could. They even sold me some soup and pasta for dinner and eggs for breakfast as I didn't have any food (thanks to the closed supermarket).

Tonight's the first night I've had to share a room, and it's with Dominique, a lovely French guy who can't speak English. I just had a nice dinner with him and a French girl called Alice who can speak English, has been to Australia and is training to be a yoga teacher, go figure. I told her about Jasper's and she's promised to come visit some day.

Some things I was thinking about today:
1. Is it sacrilege to yell out "goddammit" on a holy pilgrimmage? If so, I blasphemed a few times today.
2. I passed some cows at high altitute and could see steam coming from their ,ouths as they breathed. I estimate that a cow breathes in and out once every two seconds.
3. I thought about how a serial killer could havea field day on the Camino Trail. He could walk it as a pilgrim, which would largely place him above suspicion, then kill lone hikers when they were out in the middle of nowhere. It's not like anyone would likely even notice for weeks or perhaps months. I repeat - this is only day two.
4. I thought how much I'd like to go see Paranormal Activity 2 at the cinema, but unless I see it in French I don't think that's gonna happen.




This is a cool ruins site.

This was taken up near the top of the ruins.

This was taken from inside the ruins.


This is a town called Monistrol-d'Allier (and the ones below too).



This is where people start to get really tired.

Just a weird looking statue.




No comments:

Post a Comment