Saturday, February 13, 2010

Here we go again

I thought I'd decided no more blogging, journal writing, or general blabbing about inanities online. Especially since I moved to the country, when everyone knows hardly anything of interest happens in the country.


But then I decided to embark on a polyphasic sleep experiment. I was reading a blog by a guy called Steve Pavlina, and thought - I could do that. With a little more research I stumbled upon a whole online clan of polyphasic sleepers, or wannabe polyphasic sleepers. I suppose I should have realised that early on - what else are you going to be doing at 3am other than talking to others who are awake wondering how to keep themselves that way?


The basic premise of polyphasic sleeping is to extricate yourself from the standard and generally well-considered pattern of a solid night's sleep (which usually varies from between about six hours a night if you're my grandmother to about fourteen hours per night if you're my girlfriend), and attempt to utilise more hours by sleeping in much smaller blocks of time, more regularly.


The pattern I'm going to throw myself into is the Uberman schedule, which sounds superhuman for a reason. This pattern consists of six blocks of sleep in each twenty four hour period, each block lasting around 25 minutes. I'm going to be starting this in a couple of weeks when I am fortunate enough to have a week with very little work on. Word on the blogs is that Week One will have me staggering around like a Romero extra, so I probably don't need to try that during a heavy workload.

As for right now, I'm working off six hours sleep a night with a 25 minute nap once a day. For anyone who knows me, they'll think that's weak. I used to get by on four or less for days at a time, but since beginning my new country lifestyle a year ago, my sleeping habits have changed dramatically.


For those who don't know me, I used to work in the music industry and would spend many long days on the road, selling merchandise for bands. Last year I moved north of Sydney to a small place called Mt Seaview, about an hour's drive inland from Port Macquarie. I manage a resort here and am a part of a much larger project that will, with any luck, eventually see the creation of an eco-village and educational centre. Pretty exciting. At any rate, I can really see how sleeping as little as two hours a day could help with all the efforts I'd like to put into both this project and my own learning curve.


Anyway, that's probably enough information for one post, especially seeing as how I only just started and no one's following. I almost added the word "yet", but I'll be tentative for now.

2 comments:

  1. Good luck with your experiement Craig! If you want to hold yourself to adhering to such a regime I recommend co-habiting with a newborn. I've got #2 due in May and I'm dreading the impending sleep deprivation.

    I remember thinking the first time around that the whole 8-hr block just didn't seem biologically conducive to raising children and wondered how this system came to be...

    If you master this, I'm all ears.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Ally! Funnily enough, I first looked it up because my brother just had his first baby and is sleeping around two or three hours a night, when he's lucky. I remembered the Seinfeld episode where Kramer tried it, did some research, and before I knew it I was reading everything I could find on it and thinking it might be something fun to try myself!
    I'm still three weeks away from beginning it looks like, I won't have a week long gap until March 8, so I want to wait until then so I don't whig out when we have guests I need to look after. Of course, I have a huge group here the following week, so I'd better adapt fast!
    But anyway, I'll keep updates on here and you can see how I go.
    Also, I can't imagine you big and pregnant, it just doesn't gel with the Ally I remember!

    ReplyDelete