Thursday, December 9, 2010

Day forty eight - Sunday December 5

Departed: Santiago de Compostela 10:15am
Arrived: Negreira 3:00pm
Total hours: 4.75
Total kms: 22
Accumulated kms: 1551.8
Weather: Heavy rain

I had to see it coming. After making so many comments about Galicia, the wettest place in Spain, being so sunny all the time, I had to expect a huge downpour at some point. Today it happened.

It started about 11am and just kept going all day. I'm writing this inside now and can see it through the large windows, getting heavier and heavier. The wind has picked up now too and it's trying really hard to storm outside, but not quite getting there. Earlier in the afternoon it tried too, massive tolls of thunder pealed out and a couple of flashes of lightning, but aside from some extra heavy rain nothing much came of that either.

The rooms are heated and there's a clothes line strung up in the large bay windows. I'm hoping my stuff will dry by morning but if not, it's supposed to be bucketing down all day again tomorrow anyway, so I'll just wear it all wet as I'll be soaked within minutes of stepping outside.

I felt really good walking today which was a nice surprise. I expected to feel a bit flat after celebrating the official end of the Camino, but I felt very alive and strong. It might have been the rain!


No comments:

Post a Comment