Thursday, December 9, 2010

Day forty six - Friday December 3

Departed: Casanova: 8:15am
Arrived: O Pedrouzo 5:15pm
Total hours: 9
Total kms: 42
Accumulated kms: 1511.8
Weather: Sunny then overcast

I think today was my fourth day in Galicia, the wettest place in Spain, without rain. Felipe spoke with someone who told him that no rain is forecast for quite a few more days, and that is so rare here as to be almost considered supernatural.

Today was a long and tough walk. The guide book said 39km but it ended up being 42 from the numbered milestones that are set up roughly every 500m or so. Each day this week has been a longer walk than expected due to the guide book's errors or getting lost, and I suppose I just really felt the miles in my feet and legs today.

Although it wasn't raining I arrived with very wet feet. As it had snowed overnight, the trees were full of frozen water. As the sun warmed them, the ice melted. Most of today's walk was through forest, so it was almost like walking through light, patchy rain all day, that strangely subsided when I got out into the open.

Tomorrow I have a beautifully short walk of just 18km to get into Santiago, where I suppose I'll spend the afternoon wandering around. Then the next day it's off to the end of the world!


I think this is the best photo I've ever taken.

No comments:

Post a Comment