Thursday, December 9, 2010

Day forty four - Wednesday December 1

Departed: Triacastela 7:45am
Arrived: Ferreiros 4:00pm
Total hours: 8.25
Total kms: 34.5
Accumulated kms: 1430.8
Weather: overcast then sunny

Yesterday, near the top of the mountain, we officially crossed into the Spanish region called Galicia. This region is supposedly under the iron fist of the rain gods, and allegedly not a single day of the year goes by without it raining at least once. A woman I spoke with in Los Arcos told me when she walked the Camino through Galicia it rained hard and solidly for ten days straight. Today, we had sunshine.

I left early as I was just ready early, and had an amazing roadside walk that started in darkness, then slowly came into view as morning broke. To me the name Galicia sounds dark, mysterious, kinda comic book worldish, so it was nice to walk through looming cliffs enveloped by early fog as the darkness slipped away.

The rest of the walk reminded me a lot of France - up and down hills, along muddy forest paths beside gurgling rivers, and through tiny, deserted towns that stink of manure. By late morning the sun was well and truly shining and I was wondering what the deal was with the rain stories.

However, I was to be proven wrong. Later in the afternoon bloated black clouds came pouring in like they were late for an appointment, and less than one minute after I walked into the albergue, it started snowing heavily. This then turned to rain, but now it's quiet outside. I hope that tomorrow the weather holds up for me too.

Oh, and I should probably mention that I got lost again today. Once again though, I was following official signs all the way. I had no recourse but to declare my guide book to be the one who had no idea where the path was, and I simply enjoyed the walk that I did.




No comments:

Post a Comment