Monday, March 22, 2010

Polyphasic sleep schedule Day Fifteen

How quickly an experiment can lose its charm, its interest, its sex appeal. I'm just over two weeks in and I can't think of too much to say that I haven't said before. It's not that I've had enough of the experiment - to the contrary - I'm just struggling to come up with an angle that will keep people reading.

It's a strange thing to write about, when you really stop to think about it. "I'm going to write a gripping, on-going saga about not doing something. Entry 76: Today, I didn't do it again!"

Well, today I didn't do it again, although at times (such as during a three hour meeting this morning) I wanted to. Generally, everything seems to be evening out at the moment. The naps don't feel quite so far apart at night, and not quite so close together during the day. I feel tired from time to time, especially around 5am and sometimes between 6:30-9am, but it's not as debilitating as it has been on occasion over the last two weeks.

I have noticed an unexpected drop in motivation to achieve something over the last few nights, culminating in marathon Facebook sessions (with a nasty comedown once I realise I've spent four hours sitting there refreshing the same list of notes about people I don't even really know or care about), and a couple of long movie watching sessions. This wasn't what I signed up for! I signed up for growth and education and inspiration! No need to point out the irony of my degrading computer media in a blog either, I'm bemusedly aware of my own contradictions. I decided that I need to work out a schedule that involves yoga, writing and reading, although here we are, almost at midnight, and all I've done is chat to my mum on Facebook, chase some bugs out of our room for Angie, and write this blog.

Oh well, nothing like the present. This is the plan for the rest of the evening: From now until 12:30am I'm going to publish this then go and read (I still can't read too long at night without drifting off to sleep). From 12:30am-2am it'll be yoga and meditation. Nap time at 2am. From 2:20am or thereabouts I'll work on a short story for as long as I can handle sitting there looking at a computer screen. I'll go for a walk around 5am, right as I start to get the death sleep symptoms.

You are my witnesses, if I fail I give you permission to leave defamatory comments about my alleged sexual proclivities.

No comments:

Post a Comment