Friday, March 12, 2010

Polyphasic sleep schedule Day Five

I just calculated this evening that it's been 135 hours now since I last had a full night's sleep, and in that time I've slept only around eight hours. Can you believe it? My mother can't, she sent me an email predicting a future in a mental institution. Hi mum, if you're still reading.

I'm happy to report that I feel she may be wrong with her dire prophecies (I wouldn't have been so sure two nights ago). I dropped the extra nap this morning and I have been feeling just fine. I did throw a small tantrum today, but looking at the circumstances, I probably would have thrown one under my old sleep regime anyway.

I've had moments of tiredness but they've been thankfully quite brief. I have had a very busy day and it's possible my brain has necessarily switched off in favour of dealing with work, but I definitely feel more alert and was told by a few people that I looked a lot more together today. I'll give myself a real test where instead of staying in the office tonight I'll head up to the library where it's darker and quieter, and see if I can make it through under those conditions. And besides, we have about 30 drunken bikers here tonight, I probably don't need to hang around listening to their party.

I've got my fingers crossed I'm out of the woods on this one by now, or at the very least can see the light coming through the canopy.

Extra note: I just saved this post and on the confirmation screen an advertisement popped up courtesy of google, asking me if I'm having trouble sleeping. I just thought that was amusing, targeted marketing at its most insidious - little robots reading blogs as we update them and knowing what to throw at you.

No comments:

Post a Comment