Thursday, March 18, 2010

Polyphasic sleep schedule Day Ten

I would have thought I'd run out of things to say by Day Ten...but sadly for you, dear reader, I have not. This will be short though - today was a Weary Day. I have been unable to shake the sleep from my bones the entire day. My head came within a hair's breadth of colliding with the keyboard in the office on a couple of occasions, and I have had to simply get up and walk, run, jump about solely to stay awake. I was just telling Angie how I was feeling a little better tonight but apparently I lied, for that stupor is already coming over me.

What is it about this crazy thing where you can start feeling good and then drop right back again, seemingly for no apparent reason?

I'm starting to suspect my brain of more serious treason than I first believed. I woke to the alarm tonight at 10:25pm, and as I searched for the phone (I'd stashed it up near the door so I had to go hunting for it), my brain started talking to me. We have actual conversations (and you thought the open letter thing was just for comic value, oh no) and I don't think I always win. Tonight I was lucky.

BRAIN: When you find that phone, you'd best set it to get up in half an hour.
ME: Why would I do that? I just slept for twenty minutes.
BRAIN: No, silly, you were going to set your alarm but you just drifted off, this must have been ringing from an earlier alarm you set.
ME: Oh really? (I start to reset alarm.) Hang on, it says 10:25pm on here. Don't I nap at 10pm?
BRAIN: That's it, you're supposed to, but you didn't. You just dozed off. Don't argue, the more you argue, the less time you'll have to get this nap in.
ME: Um, okay. (I continue resetting, but have now been semi-awake for too long.) Hang on, that can't be right, I remember lying down now. I remember setting the alarm and putting the phone here.
BRAIN: Damn, I'll have to work harder next time, I nearly had you there. Why don't you just lie on the couch and we'll talk about it?
ME: Oka...wait! No!

It makes me wonder how many times it's gotten one over me during the past ten days without me having any idea I've been duped. That might explain my tiredness today, perhaps I've been oversleeping and it's being kept from me.

I spoke with Angie's sister about my dreams and she sent me an amazing detailed response on them all. If I get permission I'll post it in here, it's fascinating! Anyway, that's it from me tonight I think. I believe I might go and do some yoga soon, have another nap, then go wash windows in the restaurant for four hours - that should keep me awake until 6am.

No comments:

Post a Comment