Friday, March 12, 2010

Polyphasic sleep schedule Day Four

I'm writing a little later tonight, because I'm noticing a funny little trend. I'll hang out in the office all night, doing something worthwhile like this evening's activity (compiling a list of writing competitions from around the world to enter and make a fortune from...of course), or the completely inane (sitting on Facebook, which I am simply not going to do anymore, dammit). I'll come down after my 2am nap and write about how I'm really starting to feel pretty good, and oh, aren't I amazing and one of those reputed 2% of people who can comfortably live off a polyphasic sleep schedule, and did you notice how little time it took to adapt?

But then, about twenty minutes after writing, the sleep deprivation hits me like a brick (or in the immortal words of Nick Cave, like an ashtray big as a fucking really big brick), and I am reduced to a slobbering zombie scratching at his face and walking into walls. Last night it was at this time when the transformation took place, and it was all I could do to stay awake until 6am. It was actually all I could do to get the key in the office door on my departure and make it up to my room.

I woke up at 6:30am and bravely headed out for a walk, which culminated in me reeling from one side of the road to the other like a horribly naive drunk, staggering into the grass on each side more than once, and scaring the bejesus out of the cows that were down there having breakfast. I see these cows most mornings on my runs and they've learned to watch me with some level of trust and complacency. This morning they were all too aware of the howling, slobbering beast I had become, and took off with their tails between their legs, perhaps thinking I'd turned to the dark side and sold my soul to McDonalds

I inserted another 8am nap and felt quite normal by the 10am nap. The rest of the day was spent feeling quite good (although if I sit still for more than about ten minutes I'm still starting to feel the tug of my eyelids). Right now, here at the same dead spot as last night, I can feel that light headed sway but so far I am still in control of my senses.

Oh, did I mention I slipped up this morning? I had just one alarm set as I've been waking before them anyway. It went off and then I got up, except the time frame between these two seemingly consecutive actions seemed to stretch out to about twenty minutes. I have no recollection of those twenty minutes at all, so I can only assume I fell back asleep (knowing me, probably sitting upright and staring at my phone with open eyes). It's the first time I've fallen asleep after waking, and a frightening thought. The rest of the day however I managed to wake without an alarm, including after the hitherto dreaded 2am nap, so I'm hoping I really am making some progress.

But my planning is impeccable tonight - now I'm starting to feel that grip of death, I have plans to go clean a large rec room I need to get through before tomorrow. Vacuuming with loud rock music turned up as high as I can without waking anyone is just what I need to survive until 6am. Take that, death sleep!

No comments:

Post a Comment