Monday, March 8, 2010

Polyphasic sleep schedule Day Half

It's 3:54am as I start writing this, and last night was my final night of a habitual sleeping pattern. I was at first a little surprised at the level of tiredness I've been feeling, but then I had a little look back over my day.

a) Firstly, I was woken early by Angie getting up forty five minutes before my normal wake time in order to prepare breakfast for a huge group of people. I love her dearly but she's not the quietest of people. She does try hard, and she was quieter than she normally is, but still I woke to the sound of a slamming toilet lid and a blowing nose.

b) In what might seem to be a diabolical plan but I am sure wasn't, during two naps today Angie accidentally woke me. I'm pretty sure it's not a plot to overthrow my experiment, she did seem suitably apologetic about it, and in the first case I was sleeping in the middle of the recreation room of the resort at 10am, so I was probably asking for it.

c) For some strange reason I ended up engaged in a bit more physical activity than normal today. I went for a run at 6:30am, carried a hell of a lot of chairs from one room to another around 11am, played an hour of tennis around 5pm and went for a 4km walk around 7:30pm. Pile this on top of a couple of disturbed sleeps and you have a sleepy person on your hands.

d) Right, and I just finished two nearly 15-hour work days back to back with a huge group booked in over the weekend. Can't forget about that.

I was actually doing quite fine until around 12:30am, which is the time I've been religiously going to sleep for the past three weeks or so. Fortunately, that's the exact time I'd scheduled in an hour and a half of yoga (oh, add that to the list of physical activity!), and this almost instantly staved off the tiredness. During my ten minute savasana at the end I am open to the possibility that I slept for a few minutes. But then again, I almost always feel like this, so I'm not treating this as out of the ordinary. Strangely enough my meditation following lasted a good ten minutes before I felt my trunk slipping forward - lately I've struggled to make even five minutes.

After my 2am nap I headed down here to the office, made up a huge container full of a nut/fruit mix, and am thinking about going in to the restaurant to set up for breakfast tomorrow morning (Matt's job, but how awesome for him to turn up at 8am and find it all done? Plus, it'll keep me awake until that 6am nap).

I've been reading pages and pages of information on the Puredoxyk site as well, which is quite encouraging. It's interesting how large a part the mere thought of engaging in such a schedule as the Uberman affects your physiology. I have a sneaking suspicion the tiredness I'm feeling right now is largely due to the excitement, nervousness, trepidation, anticipation and sheer curiosity I'm dealing with now I've started.

Anyway, this is hardly a scientific report as I'm not even technically a day in, I've had longer spells without sleep in one whole day of work. But it passes the time, right?

2 comments: