Saturday, November 6, 2010

Day nine - Wednesday October 27

Departed: La Cassagnde 8:45am
Arrived: Cajarc 2:15pm
Total hours: 5.5
Total kms: 25.8
Accumulated kms: 281.8
Weather: Sunny and beautiful

I would have liked to walk further today, but the next place with accommodation is another 18km away, and that's just too damn far. The weather was perfect again today, I'm hoping it continues, it's such a pleasure to walk on days like this.

The landscape today was a little rougher than it has been, more like hiking in lots of Australian National Parks. Less wet green and more spiky brown. The walk itself was really easy though, very few hills, and part of me actually would have liked to try the extra 18km.

But instead I'm calling it a rest day. I slept in, left late, walked slowly, had a prolonged lunch, arrived early, and I'll kick back and read the rest of the afternoon. It's only got to be good for the knee anyway.

The next few days will be confusing - my guide book and chart showing distances are completely at odds with each other, by as much as 10km at a time. That's a huge difference when I'm at the point in the year where if I don't reserve a bed the gites will likely be closed up when I arrive. Even tomorrow's walk purports to be just under 36km, but my host here told me 31. Perhaps I misunderstood his French.







No comments:

Post a Comment