Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Day twenty one - Monday November 8

Departed: Arzacq-Arraziguet 8:45am
Arrived: Arthez-de-Béarn 3:15pm
Total hours: 6.5
Total kms: 30
Accumulated kms: 644.5
Weather: Cold, raining and windy

Totday was hands down the worst so far, weather-wise. For most of the day it rained steadily, and I was also walking into a strong headwind for most of the way. Combined with a morning of hills I'm very surprised I got here so quickly. The hills were challenging, I seem to have grown complacent after a few days straight of very flat walks. The training will be good for the Pyrénées crossing on Saturday.

Speaking of which, I had my first view of the the Pyrénées ranges today, and boy are they intimidating. A long line of formidable, snow covered peaks looming right across the southern border of France. It's amazing how close they look, and how I haven't seen them until today. I'm very excited actually, I can't wait to get there now I've had a glimpse.

Nothing much else to report, really, I was forced to keep my head down and my shoulders squared against the wind all day just to make progress. Apparently tomorrow morning will be the same, so I'm in for another wet one.

Oh, I downloaded a book on learning Spanish tonight and am finding it much, much easier than French. I figured that as I was making such slow progress with French, and I only had a few more days in the country anyway, I may as well start Spanish. I think it's been a good move.

No comments:

Post a Comment