Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Day thirty six - Tuesday November 23

Departed: PoblaciĆ³n de Campos 8:00am
Arrived: Ledigos 4:15pm
Total hours: 8.25
Total kms: 38
Accumulated kms: 1136.3
Weather: Foggy all morning, sunny and warm all afternoon

I am really enjoying this weather at the moment! The mornings are cold but myserious and exciting to walk through, the afternoons are sunny and warm and beautiful. I hope it holds up for the rest of the trip, although this may be wishful thinking as I've been told the region of Galicia is one of the wettest you will find anywhere. I spoke with someone who walked the Camino a few years back and it rained heavily on her for ten days straight - her entire stretch through there. Oh well, I'll enjoy it as long as it lasts anyway.
Today was an exercise in strength of mind - three hours of the walk was along a straight, empty road through the middle of flat, empty plains. I lasted two hours and finally took out the iPod before something inside me snapped. Or perhaps it did, I found myself singing Rainbow Connection at the top of my lungs because I could quite easily see that there was absolutely nobody around for at least 5km in every direction.

I should make an update on last night - the water came back about five minutes after I finished writing the journal entry, and the hot shower was fantastic. Then, we went to the hotel that the albergue was run by to ask for directions to the supermarket. The woman there came outside to point out the road, and saw a guy getting out of a car at a house further up - he turned out to be the owner of the supermarket who, on account of no one going in to buy anything, had decided to close up early for the day. She spoke with him and he agreed to go back and open up just for us. I knew it was a good move going to that place, everything worked out well!

Tonight it's just Filipe and I in the albergue here; another guy got here just before us, but he was looking for a large group of pilgrims and when he discovered they weren't here he kept going. If it's the group we're thinking of they're at least a day ahead of him from what other albergue people have told us, but it's good to have hopes and dreams.

The manager here just brought us in free soup, and Filipe happily ate mine as it was full of ham. And if I'm not mistaken, the heaters should be kicking in any minute now. Yep, life on the Camino is pretty good at the moment, and as of right now I should have, all things going well, exactly two weeks until I reach the edge of the world. It's very exciting and I can't wait to see the ocean.




No comments:

Post a Comment