Saturday, November 6, 2010

Day ten - Thursday October 28

Departed: Cajarc 7:15am
Arrived: Vaylats 2:45pm
Total hours: 7.5
Total kms: 35.3
Accumulated kms: 317.1
Weather: Sunny and warm

Okay, those kilometres are probably wrong. I've looked at four different sources and they all disagree with each other, I'm just working from the same source I've used for the days so far, although I suspect it's wrong for today and the next few as well. Basically, if this is right it means that today I averaged 5kph even with a 20 minute lunch stop and three other breaks to stretch and munch an apple. That doesn't seem at all right to me.

Although it must be said I did make good time today. With the exception of a fairly long uphill patch coming out of Cajarc (and it was such beautiful scenery leaving there), the rest of the day was pretty flat. The down side was that most of the day consisted of walking on sharp, jagged stones. It's as if they want the pilgrims to be in need of some sole healing as well as soul healing during this journey.

Last night I stayed in a place with three others who were only walking a little of the way. We all had a lot of trouble understanding each other (they were French), but with patience and the help of my dictionary we worked it out. I'm starting to find that no one is doing the entire walk right now. Every single person I've come across is walking only part of the journey, and everyone (except for that Swiss guy a few days back) thinks I'm crazy for trying to cross the Pyrenees in November. One of the French women last night told me that it's supposed to be an exceptionally cold winter coming up this year. Of course, to my understanding, if the Pyrenees are under snow there is a cheater's way around at a much lower altitude. Oh well, I will cross that mountain (or not) when I get to it.

I'm staying in a church tonight, which sucks. They won't let me cook my own food (and are charging for dinner and breakfast) and I have to go to a mass this afternoon, just what I feel like doing after a long day's walk. I won't be falling for that one again! I just wish more places were open to stay in. Maybe I'll just start sneaking into people's garages along the way as it gets dark and hope they don't notice.



No comments:

Post a Comment