Monday, November 15, 2010

Day twenty four - Thursday November 11

Departed: Bellevue 8:45am
Arrived: Gaineko Etxea 3:45pm
Total hours: 7
Total kms: 24.4
Accumulated kms: 717.7
Weather: Sunny in the morning, overcast in the afternoon

Last night finished up being an awesome stay. The people who ran the gite - a really sweet elderly couple who spoke only a little English - were so super friendly and nice, and enthusiastic about the Camino that they had made folders and folders of information about it. We were asked to put a texta spot on the section of an atlas where we were from. There were many spots on Sydney and Melbourne, but I put down the first spot anywhere within a 200km radius of Mt Seaview!

I walked today with Agnes, who has been at the last few gites with me, and Lillian and Thomas, the friendly Swiss I met earlier who have caught me up with the short days. It was quite a nice day of walking and chatting to others. I wouldn't want to do it every day but today was really nice.

At one point a beautiful white cat came out of seemingly nowhere and walked beside us, like a dog, for about a kilometre. Not long after, a pony came galloping across a field to lick my hand. A day of walking and talking to the animals.

I can't believe it but after two days of perfectly pain-free walking, my right shin is now suffering tendonitis in the exact same place my left one was. It started yesterday and was painfully present down the hills today. I'm putting on the gel, and Agnes very kindly gave me a packet of arnica tablets which should help a lot, I'll buy more tomorrow. She also told me I should drink more water as apparently that can have a big effect on tendonitis.

Talking to her today I found out she´s a Vipashana (spelling?) student on meditation, and normally meditates a few hours every day. This was after I told her about Angie's sister Marcelle having just done a Vipashana retreat. Such a small and connected world.



This hill was much, much steeper than this photo makes it seem.


No comments:

Post a Comment