Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Day twenty two - Tuesday November 9

Departed: Arthez-de-Béarn 7:30am
Arrived: Navarrenx 2:30pm
Total hours: 7
Total kms: 31.8
Accumulated kms: 676.3
Weather: Sunny and overcast

The walk out of town this morning was absolutely spectacular. Even minutes before I left, as I put my boots on,  the rain hammered down outside. I opened the door and it stopped, right before me, then pretty much held off for the rest of the day.

As I walked west from Arthez-de-Béarn, the sun came up behind me, and to my left I had an incredible view of the Pyrénées expanse. As I made it out onto the country roads, dark rain clouds gathered everywhere but for the floating oasis of blue sky and sunshine that followed me - literally - for about two hours. I could see rain falling around, but none of it on me. It's almost enough to male me a religious man. Almost.

There were a lot of hills today, but as most of them were on tarred roads it felt like a relatively easy day's walk, which is reflected in the short time it took, even with three fairly drawn out breaks.

All day I walked toward the mountains and saw them grow bigger. I'm now quite close, and they actually don't look so bad anymore. Many peaks are covered in snow, but there are also many that aren't, especially in the direction I'm walking. I'm not really anticipating any problems with this mountain crossing now at all.




1 comment:

  1. Funny that, because this is the first time I've been a bit scared for you... walk with caution my friend, and stay safe! Good luck learning el Spanish-o. x

    ReplyDelete