Saturday, November 20, 2010

Day thirty - Wednesday November 17

Departed: Los Arcos 8:30am
Arrived: Logroño 2:30pm
Total hours: 6
Total kms: 28
Accumulated kms: 904.8
Weather: Light rain in the morning, overcast the rest of the day and really cold

It's finally starting to feel like winter here in Europe. While I'm walking I don't notice it too much (usually), but when I stop for lunch and am in town at night I am really feeling the cold getting colder.

Today went by really quickly. I decided to walk alone, and I once I headed off was really happy with the decision. It's been awesome walking with Filipe (just found out how to spell his name properly tonight) but it really feels better doing this walk alone. Despite this, I ended up walking the final 6km or so with an Englishman and a Hungarian who caught me up. I let them pass me by, but then caught them going the wrong way and yelled out, which started a conversation and resulted in us walking together. They set a cracking pace, definitely faster than 6kph. We reached a short downhill section and they actually jogged down it, then waited for me to catch up. The Hungarian was only walking for a week, and was the instigator of the pace. The Brit had started his walk in Scotland, and was planning to finish at the edge of the Sahara in Morroco.

The municipal albergue was shut in Logroño, so Filipe and I went out for dinner. He wanted to go to Mass first, so I spent an hour walking around the city, which I think is the first time I've done that since I've been in Europe. It was nice wandering around aimlessly, wherever my feet took me, checking out a foreign city that in essence isn't really that different from most cities cities I've been in - lots of people, shops, restaurants, buskers, lights, decorations, touristy points of interest, street vendors, etc. By the time I got back here my legs were feeling it though, I probably added a good three or four kilometres to my day. We have a long one tomorrow, a little over 38km, so with any luck I'll feel amazing when I wake up, with none of this soreness at all.






No comments:

Post a Comment