Saturday, November 6, 2010

Day twelve - Saturday October 30

Departed: Cahors 8:30am
Arrived: Montcuq 4:00pm
Total hours: 7.5
Total kms: 30.3
Accumulated kms: 372
Weather: Sunny, about to rain, sunny, about to rain, sunny, etc

Today felt like one of the hardest days so far. This was very strange because it wasn't a long walk, nor was the terrain particularly hard. I just felt very low on energy and found it very hard to move one foot in front of the other. I felt that way until about 2pm, when I suddenly found my groove and felt fine.

Walking on the muddy bush tracks today was as dangerous as negotiating King St traffic on a bike. I was assailed by a trio of dirt bike riders, a couple of quad bike riders, a couple of four wheel drives, and, at two separate points, an entire endurance equestrian event. I had to keep jumping out of the way as large horses bore down on me - the first time from in front, the second from behind - on narrow paths where not more than two people could walk abreast. I didn't actually find it that frightening until I noticed that every second rider had a look of sheer panic on their face as their horse neared me, and they were yanking futiley at the reigns like Gepeto trying to control Pinnochio after he had come to life. I can only be thankful that none of the horses deemed me worthy of riding over. I passed through some kind of station on the way where there was a small group of people cheering the riders on and giving the horses water. I received neither from them, perhaps my hair wasn't silky enough.

Now, it turns out that the reason I had so much trouble finding accommodation within 20km of Montcuq was that this weekend Montcuq hosts a large celebration of horses, with shows and races and all sorts of stuff. I lucked out though, my host told me, because a horse hurt his leg and the owners cancelled their reservation yesrterday, right before the guy at the Tourism Office phoned. I'm very luck,; there were literally no other options for accommodation, and I may have had to wait the weekend out in Cahors. I paid extra for this place but I have my own room with double bed (and sheets - no sleeping bag tonight!) and breakfast in the morning too. Not too shabby.

I downloaded a book on learning French to the Kindle and have been trying to put in at least an hour every day for the past few days. I think it's slowly sinking in but then I should, all things going well, be out of the country in less than two weeks. I'll just have to see how quickly I can pick it up...then start work on my Spanish!



No comments:

Post a Comment