Sunday, November 7, 2010

Day sixteen - Wednesday November 3

Departed: Lectoure 7:15am
Arrived: Condom 2:45pm
Total hours: 7.5
Total kms: 35
Accumulated kms: 500.8
Weather: Overcast

I don't know what happened today, but the walk just felt so goddamn easy. My shin was fine, my knee was fine, I felt like I was walking at quite a leisurely pace, and yet I was clocking around 5kph along hills and muddy paths. Bizarre. The distances seemed right today too, from what I could check off against signs. I felt very peaceful walking, and felt almost as if I was in some state of conscious meditation for a good part of the day. Of course, there wasn't a lot to look at, just lots more barren fields.

I'm very lucky with my accommodation tonight. My host last night tried every place within my budget that claimed to be open all year, and they were all shut. She then tried this place, which was supposed to close in October, but they gave me the security code and told me I could stay anyway.

The host just came and we had a fun time trying to understand each other. She got it through to me that ever since she was a little girl she's wanted to go to Australia, she looked quite sad that she hasn't made it yet. One thing I've got from doing this is there's no point putting off your dreams. If there's something you want to do, then just bloody well make it happen. Why not?

Two things I'd like to mention. Firstly, my feet. I had a good look at them tonight, which I haven't done in a while. They look alien to me, like the paws of some exotic monkey were grafted onto my ankles. The tops of the toes are pink and peeled, as if from sunburn. All over each foot are scattered spots, like a rash, which I assume are from sweating in boots all day. Around the pressure points - heel and ball of the foot - the skin is also pink, with white shades in there, and it's polished to a super smooth sheen. It almost looks like stone. I'd take a photo but that's probably just a little too graphic.

Secondly, when I came out of the shower tonight, carrying my pants, my fob watch fell out of the pocket and broke apart on the concrete floor. The lid came off and the watch won't work anymore. This is quite depressing. It was a really nice watch. Perhaps I'm being told to stop focussing on time so much. It will make it difficult to see how I'm travelling, I'm going to have to either rely on listening out for the bells in each town (providing I'm in towns on the hour), or buy a cheap kid's watch in a supermarket next time I find one. It'll definitely make it hard to know when to get up, as I get up a good couple of hours before the sun. Oh well, I'll work something out, or I'll just sleep in each day. I suppose I've been walking fast enough to not have to worry about getting in to towns before dark, providing I leave not too long after the sun comes up. [Update: my iPod has the time on it, everyone stop worrying.]




No comments:

Post a Comment